Friday, January 9, 2009

He's Better Than Life!

The other day in prayer, the Lord spoke to my heart from the passage in Revelations 12 verse 11…”they loved not their lives unto death.” And I began to wonder what that truly meant. What does it mean to love not my life unto death and am I doing that? Can that be said of me?

Well…I have to ask this question then…
Do I love what I think, how I feel, and my desires for me more than I love God’s thoughts. Do I put His feelings first and are His desires mine? Because that’s what the word life in that passage means and we can love what we think, our knowledge, our understanding to such an extent that is can spiritually kill us. I read a stop me in my tracks quote the other day from Bill Johnson. He said this, “I cannot afford to have a thought in my head about me that is not His.” That quote is now written in my journals that I write in every day and my bible, right next to this passage. Wrong thoughts can cost me everything and I am not willing to spend that much! How about you?

Let me just take it a step further…the word “their” in this passage, when I referenced it, refers to a lower and denser air as distinguished from the higher, rarer air. Think me silly but when I read this, I thought of what being dense means if someone were to call me that. It means stupid or lacking in sensibility or intellect. THICKHEADED...so many of my thoughts crowded together and none with the ability to move or take me anywhere. But the opposite end of the spectrum…to be rare is to be choice or to be the best part. And that’s what I want…to deliberately love God’s choices for me…what He considers to be the best part for me. And the truth of the matter is...it doesen't matter how many thoughts I have crowded in this head of mine, only God's thought holds the possibility.

Psalm 63:1 & 3 says ” O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is… Because thy lovingkindness is better than life” Do you know what He is saying here? My interpretation is this, “God…you are Lord over me, my mind, my will and my emotions. Early will I seek you because my soul is naturally thirsty for you and I want your thoughts to be my first thoughts. I want them to come before mine. My flesh longs for you but this world is dry and thirsty as well and only the waters of your word will do! Your lovingkindness, your goodness, the thoughts and the plans that you have for me that you will carry out are better than I could ever think of on my own!” What a wonderful God he is! HE'S BETTER THAN LIFE!!

No comments: